Year of Call: 2009
Clerk: Michael Lieberman
Cerys currently accepts instructions in Civil Litigation, Regulatory and Family Finance matters. Her Civil Litigation practice covers traditional Chancery work, including Trusts and Land disputes as well as Commercial disputes featuring Landlord and Tenant and Insolvency. She has been appointed to the A Panel of the Welsh Government Panel of Approved Counsel. Her appointment runs for five years from 1st March 2021. In 2019 she was appointed to the Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Approved Counsel.
Additionally, she is experienced in Housing matters and in 2016 she appeared in the Civil Division of the Court of Appeal on behalf of the Appellant tenant in the case of Lee (Flowers) v. Cardiff County Council, in a case which considered the interpretation and scope of changes to Part 83 of the Civil Procedure Rules relating to the issuing of warrants of possession that were brought in to force in April 2014.
Cerys also accepts instructions in Financial Provision, Cohabitation and TOLATA claims.
She is recommended by The Legal 500 2018 (Tier 1) for her Property work particularly "building disputes and adverse possession matters" whilst the previous edition recommended her as being "very experienced in housing matters."
Her current and recent Civil Litigation caseload includes instructions covering:
- Actions against the Police including Malicious Prosecution and Employers' Liability
- Adverse Possession
- Building Disputes
- Commercial Property including Dilapidations
- Consumer Credit
- Credit Hire
- Housing, Homelessness and Anti-Social Behaviour including Equality Act
- Insolvency including Bankruptcy Petitions, Possession Orders and Orders for Sale
- Landlord and Tenant
- Nuisance / Trespass
- Personal Injury - RTA's, Occupiers' & Employers' Liability and Defective Premises
- Sale of Goods / Supply of Services
Her Regulatory experience includes:
- Animal Welfare
- Anti-Social Behaviour Orders / SPO's
- Civil Restraint and Forfeiture
- Proceeds of Crime
- Public Interest Immunity / Disclosure
- Unlawful eviction
Education and Awards
- 2005-2008: Cardiff University, LLB Law, 1st Class (Hons)
- 2008-2009: Cardiff University, Bar Vocational Course, Outstanding
- 2007: Cardiff University, Mooting Competition Winner (as judged by His Honour Judge Nicholas Cooke QC)
- 2008: Lincoln’s Inn, Lord Denning Scholarship
- 2009: Lincoln’s Inn, Buchanan Prize for Outstanding PerformanceLincoln’s Inn, Highest Ranking Student Member Called to the Bar on 28 July 2009
- Wales and Chester Circuit Award for Outstanding Student of the Year
- 2009: Temple Chambers Award for Best Performance in Civil Advocacy
She accepts instructions in public access matters in appropriate cases relating to civil litigation only.