HMCTS weekly operational update: week commencing 11 May 2020
HMCTS weekly operational update: week commencing 11 May 2020
Follow us on @HMCTSgovuk to also check for daily or urgent updates.
We have many online court and tribunal services available to professional users and members of the public. These remove the need to contact us by phone, email or post.
- We’re consolidating the work of courts and tribunals into fewer buildings. Some building are open to the public, some buildings are staffed but are not open to the public, and some buildings are temporarily closed. The list was updated 4 May 2020
- Where courts and tribunals are closed, we’ll contact parties directly to confirm new hearing arrangements. We’ll contact those parties whose hearings were scheduled to happen first, and work our way through the list as quickly as possible. Please be patient while we do this, and avoid making contact if you can.
- The Kinly Cloud Video Platform (CVP) is initially being rolled out to 60 magistrates’ courts and 48 crown courts currently open to the public, with others to follow as soon as possible. It is also being introduced to the Civil and Family courts. Please see our updated telephone and video hearings during coronavirus outbreak and a guide on how to join a telephone and video hearing
- We’re continuing to avoid physical hearings and arranging remote hearings wherever possible. Anyone who requires technical support for a telephone or video hearing can call 0330 8089405
- Our Courts and Tribunals Service Centres will be available from 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4pm on Fridays until further notice. Courts and Tribunals Service Centre - advice on contacting HMCTS during coronavirus (PDF, 303KB, 4 pages)
- Our South East region will only be taking calls between 10am to 2pm in all jurisdictions (with the exceptions on the next line)
- Chelmsford, Norwich, Ipswich and Basildon Crown Courts are temporarily unable to answer calls. The recorded message will advise you what to do
- We’ve introduced temporary new hours in our Scotland contact centre. HMCTS Scotland contact centre opening hours w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 149KB, 1 page)
- Welsh Language services available during the coronavirus outbreak. Welsh language services update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 257KB, 1 page)
- Crown Courts are dealing with a range of work, much of which is being done remotely. This includes sentencing hearings and all urgent applications including applications for bail and applications to extend custody time limits. Pre-trial preparation hearings and further case management hearings are also taking place
- Magistrates’ courts are covering urgent work, custody trials, and police traffic prosecution cases, which are being with remotely under the Single Justice Procedure. Other trials, particularly for domestic abuse, are being listed for hearing following rigorous case management by judges and legal advisers.Magistrates' court cases update: w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 235KB, 1 page). The Judiciary have published a note of listing in magistrates’ courts during coronavirus outbreak
- We are making plans to start high priority sentencing cases, particularly for domestic abuse offences, and DVPOs
- All questions about paying an outstanding criminal court fine should be sent to our National Compliance and Enforcement Service at NCESBCT@justice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 9252
- Family courts business priorities. Family court business priorities w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 164KB, 1 page)
- Family court C100 (child arrangements) guidance. Family court: Child Arrangements C100 application guidance (PDF, 238KB, 1 page)
- Civil court listing priorities. Civil court listing priorities w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 332KB, 1 page)
- Various user help guides published: Administrative Appeals Chamber, Employment Tribunals, General Regulatory Chamber, Health, Education and Social Care Chamber (First-Tier Tribunal): Special Education Needs & Disability, Care Standards and Primary Health Lists, Health, Education and Social Care Chamber (First-Tier Tribunal): Mental Health, Immigration and Asylum Chamber, Lands Chamber, Property Chamber, Tax and Chancery Chamber (Upper Tier), Tax Chamber First Tier, War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber and Property Chamber
- Payment of fees to the Lands Chamber, Payment of application and hearing fees to the Property Chamber,
- First tier tax tribunal operational update First Tier IAC operational update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 169KB, 1 page)
- Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 64.2KB, 1 page)
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document on Employment Tribunals during the coronavirus for parties who are representing themselves and professional representatives
- Mental Health Tribunal telephone hearing guidance. Mental Health Tribunal telephone guidance w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 156KB, 1 page)
- First Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. First Tier IAC operational update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 164KB, 1 page)
- Upper Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. Upper Tier IAC operational update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 240KB, 1 page)
- The Upper Tribunal Immigration and Asylum Chamber has made changes to the way it currently works. Since Thursday 30 April 2020, all Judicial Review applications can be lodged using email. Upper Tribunal IAC Judicial Review changes (PDF, 173KB, 2 pages)
Royal Courts of Justice
- The Royal Courts of Justice Operational Update: The Royal Courts of Justice operational update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 130KB, 1 page).
- The High Court is covering work according to the High Court Contingency Plan. More detailed guidance for the Administrative Court Office. Administrative Court Office guidance (PDF, 270KB, 4 pages) Queen's Bench guidance (PDF, 394KB, 3 pages) More detailed guidance for the Queen’s Bench. Queen's Bench guidance - Interim Applications Court (PDF, 166KB, 1 page) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 1 (PDF, 258KB, 3 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 2 (PDF, 407KB, 3 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 3 (PDF, 241KB, 1 page) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 4 (PDF, 261KB, 2 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 5 (PDF, 168KB, 2 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 6 (PDF, 169KB, 2 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 7 (PDF, 180KB, 2 pages)
- The Court of Appeal Civil Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities. Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 164KB, 1 page).
- The Court of Appeal Criminal Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Emergency Plan. RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Division update w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 164KB, 1 page).
- The Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office has temporarily closed. Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office update: w/c 11 May 2020 (PDF, 253KB, 1 page)